Annexation Request Brochure
Cost Calculation Sheet
This sheet has been provided to assist annexation area residents to calculate any increase in costs and/or savings that would occur due to annexation into the city.
A. City of Murray Real Estate Property Tax
Residents in the annexed area will pay an additional city property tax rate of $.4260/100 assessed value of their property. All other property taxes, assessed by the County (school, county, health, library, conservation, extension, and jail) will remain the same except for the fire district tax of $.056/100 assessed value, which will be eliminated upon annexation.
(Contact the PVA office at 270-753-3482 for property value).
To calculate added city tax:
e.g. $100,000 property value = $426.00 taxes
*Homestead exemption $100,000 - 36,900 = $63,100 x .004260 = $268.81 (tax)
B. Vehicle Tax
e.g. $10,000 car value = $38.00 taxes
(Contact the County Clerk's office at 270-753-3923 for vehicle value).
C. City Stickers
Every vehicle that is based in the city limits or that is driven to a place of employment within the city limits has to have a city sticker. The cost of the sticker is $50.00 per year.
D. Insurance Tax
The City of Murray has a tax of nine and one half percent (9.5%) on any insurance policy which is not health, accident insurance or workman's compensation insurance. Contact your insurance agent to determine this cost.
E. Insurance Rates
Residents are urged to talk to their insurance agent about insurance rate reductions due to annexation into the city. The city has a class three (3) fire rating as opposed to a class seven (7) in the county.
F. Water Bill
Residents in the annexation area who currently receive water service will see an immediate rate reduction in these services.
e.g. A $30.00 monthly water bill would be reduced to $16.95. An annual savings of $203.40
G. Sewer Bill
Residents in the annexation area who currently receive sewer service will see an immediate rate reduction in these services.
e.g. A $30.00 monthly sewer bill would be reduced to $16.76. An annual savings of $201.12
H. Stormwater Bills
There is also a $1.50 StormWater utility fee per residence per month that is used by the StormWater Utility for improvements in storm water drainage related projects within the rights-of-ways of the street.
I. Fire District Tax
County residents now pay a fire district tax of $.056/100 assessed value. Upon annexation, this tax will be eliminated. (Contact the PVA office at 270-753-3482 for property value).
e.g. $100,000 property value = $56.00 savings
J. Sanitation Services
By ordinance it is unlawful for any person, except for the city, to engage in the collection, removal or disposal of refuse within the city limits. The city charges $15 per month for one can with once a week garbage collection.
Other Possible Benefits:
- Paved streets and drainage improvements
- Street lights
- Yearly spring brush and fall leaf curbside pick-up
Public Safety Protection
- 33 Full time State trained and certified city officers to protect 11.44+/- square miles. The Sheriff Department is responsible for 375 square miles with 15 deputies (8 full time and 7 part time)
- 38 Full time State trained and certified professional fire fighter staff at twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week instead of a volunteer fire department
- Property Maintenance code for protection from unmaintained property
- Building Code to ensure construction meets minimum standards
- Zoning Protection – protection against unwanted land uses
- Representation – ability to vote on city issues that affect your community
- Tax deductions – your property taxes are eligible for state and federal tax deduction if you itemize your taxes
Contact the Planning Department